Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Before and After

My first DIY furniture recovering project. MAJ and I have become obsessed with the DIY channel and pretty much watch it exclusively. I perpetually see old chairs and other upholstered furniture at yard sales or consignment shops and think how cool it would be to buy it and re-cover it. However I know it will just end up sitting somewhere in my house with the dingy upholstery it currently has because I'll never actually get around to recovering it so I don't pull the trigger. Until yesterday.

I found the perfect first time project. Small. Manageable in 1 day (as it turns out less than an hour). And cheap...so even if I didn't follow through I wouldn't waste much money. So here's the before...
Note the dingy fabric on top...
but structurally kinda cute...
After...

Upholstered ottoman/bench!


In action in potential location #1

vs. alternate location (MAJ's vote since he needed an ottoman for his newpaper reading chair)
Breakdown of this project:
Ottoman from Habitat ReStore of Montgomery County: $25
Fabric: On sale at Joann's for $9.99/yard - 1/2 yard  - $5
Labor: i'm kinda retarded and cheap so the 1/2 yard didn't work as is and I had to do some reconstructing with my sewing machine but still all in - 1 hour of removing staples to get old fabric off and restapling new covering on! I'm not going to lie I had to borrow MAJ's muscles for elbow grease to get the legs back on securely.

Bottom line: $30! Pretty darn cute I think - I'm sort of proud of myself. Can you tell? ;)

If MAJ wins and the zebra ottoman stays in the den then I need to make two poufs for the living room...project for tomorrow?

3 comments:

  1. oh I love it ... I think my favorite is in the living room, though poufs would be great too :)

    ReplyDelete